A few reminders and some new information about STAAR Mathematics...
Revised (2012) TEKS
New TEKS for mathematics were revised and adopted by the State Board of Education (SBOE) in April 2012. These new TEKS are often referred to as the Revised (2012) TEKS for this reason.
The SBOE specified that the new standards would be implemented in:
- K-8 in the 2014-2015 school year
- High School in the 2015-2016 school year (note: CISD is transitioning this year)
Revised (2012) TEKS & STAAR
The advisory committees discussed and made recommendations about:
- How to group the curriculum into reporting categories for the assessments
- How the mathematical process standards should be incorporated into the assessments
- Which student expectations could/could not be tested
- Which student expectations are critical and should be identified as readiness standards
- How the reporting categories should be emphasized in the test blueprint (number of questions)
- What information should be included on the reference materials
- What format should be used for griddable questions
- What graph paper should be used, etc.
New Documents on STAAR Mathematics Resources Webpage
- New assessed curriculum documents
- New blueprints
- New reference materials
- New griddable questions document
- New process codes document
New Documents Coming Soon to STAAR Mathematics Resources Webpage
- New calculator policy
- New specific performance level descriptors
- New performance standards
Information shared by TEA: Student Assessment Division, October 2014.